Monday, March 17, 2014

Characterisitcs of Cloud Computing

Cloud computing offers on-demand self-service; individuals are able to obtain computing capabilities such as service time or network storage on their own.  On-demand is helpful because scarce resources become available to users at times when they may not be otherwise.  This allows for the entire process to be simple and flexible.  The uses of resources are credited with a pay as you go option; this allows for the user to access the exact amount of resources they need with ease.

Cloud computing uses a ubiquitous network access where individuals can use standard network and Internet devices including mobile platforms to access cloud resources.  This type of network access allows for independent resource pooling; multiple users are able to access resources based on their demand.  This aspect of cloud computing helped raised popularity because management is vaguely needed and service provider interaction is minimal.  Although the location independent resource pooling serves as an asset for most companies, some large corporate operations are wary about where their data may be.  Because companies are a part of a multi-user program, the resources provided by cloud computing are being used by individuals other than their company.

            The elasticity offered by cloud computing is probably the most appealing characteristic offered.  Payment is dependent on the actual amount of resources used; the pay as you go method is extremely attractive to customers.  This elasticity holds true across all aspects of cloud computing; if you wanted to change one aspect of your computing, one would be able to do so without interfering with other aspects.  This is another reason as to why there is minimal management from the service provider.  With cloud computing, difficult and detailed monitoring becomes a rather simple component.

Sources:
geekswithblogs.net
ibm.com/cloudcomputing
Picture From: http://www.vardhamantechnology.com/cloud.html

5 comments:

  1. I think Cloud Computing is a great way to storage your data.
    The only reason why I know of Cloud computing is through Apple since I have an iPhone.
    They've provided Cloud so that you can back up your data through it.
    Do you know all the service providers that support Cloud Computing?
    Is it fit for all devices or is it just an Apple thing right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of Cloud Computing until I got an IPhone last year. I had problems with my last phone's data storage. I like that with Cloud Computing I can easily access data and not have to worry about a full SD card. Cloud Computing is an excellent way to store data. It stores data in real time and, as stated in the post, it minimizes data management. I think it would have excellent application in business organizations by allowing different departments to access information from other departments quickly.

    Katherine Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloud computing is still in its infancy in my opinion. I think that using cloud storage is a bad idea, especially for individuals. First off, the fact that your personal records and data are in the hands of a third party seems especially dangerous, as no company is immune to security threats, i.e. Target. Secondly, how long will it be until these companies charge a monthly fee to access your own information, which can then be held hostage to ever increasing monthly fees.

    Chase Clemens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is an interesting article regarding Cisco's new position on Cloud Computing.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/24/us-cisco-systems-cloudcomputing-idUSBREA2N09T20140324

    They have realized the huge industry and is now offering cloud computing services in competition with Amazon and Microsoft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi: There are many different providers that offer the cloud system. Amazon and Google are currently dominating the cloud game but there are still many others that use the cloud as well. The cloud is not only assessable to Apple users, you can access a cloud through any type of device that has an internet connection.
    Katherine: I completely agree with you! I think the cloud is so much easier for storing data, and like you said you don't have to worry about clogging up the storage on your device. I also like the fact that you don't have to store the information on a USB or email any attachments you can just access it wherever you are.
    Chase: I think cloud computing is on the rise, and its going to dominate soon. Many large corporations are already using it, and I think others will soon follow. It does seem dangerous in a sense that the information is stored through a third party however the data is saved on several different databases, not just one so the chances of a company losing all their data is very slim.
    Amanda: Thank you so much for sharing that article, we just blogged about that topic if you are interested in checking it out!

    ReplyDelete