Thursday, March 27, 2014

Google Clouds

Google's plan of a hyper cloud was announced a bit ago and I, like the author of the source have some skepticism. They are lowering the cost of their service 68% compared to their competitors, which I am not so sure is an advantage. With all the maintenance it takes to run a 24/7 cloud company for not only individual users but for businesses that are planning to use Google's new platform, can be a strenuous task.

This market is becoming more and more over populated and the new companies that are trying to enter the market are not having much success. Since Google already has the brand recognition you would think that they would have an easier time entering the market, but I am not so sure that will be the case. Their volume is likely to be high when they first start off. Will they have enough servers to prevent a shut down? Will they have the know-how to fix problems efficiently? My guess is that there will be a few kinks to workout in the beginning.

I think this cheaper platform of cloud computing is going to run into its fair share of difficulties, especially in its opening stages. As the volume grows larger the demands are going to increase. Do you think that Google can excel in the Cloud computing market with this cheaper platform, or do you think that they have bitten off more than they can chew?

Sources:
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140326010745-10816248-google-cloud-platform-has-the-hyper-cloud-arrived

6 comments:

  1. I for one am happy to be a Googler. With the investments that this company is making I know that it will only make my experience better. I am confused on the idea of hyper clouds though? Guess I will need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jodey... I'm happy to be a Googler.

    Google puts a lot of time and money into its employees, as Fortune Magazine named Google the 2014 "Best Company to Work For". (http://www.google.com/about/careers/lifeatgoogle/). In my opinion (and experience), an employee that is good taken care of, will work hard and be willing to figure out the problems, no matter how long it takes them. This is why I believe that they will handle everything they are taking on, and prove themselves to be the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think Ryan was personally victimizing Google. I believe he was doing quite the opposite. During our research of cloud computing we have come across several of the most profitable companies from cloud computing. We are rather surprised that Google is not on that list, much less at the top of that list. With all of the innovation and restructuring Google is recently undergoing, we hope that they will be able enhance the cloud-computing market in ways that other companies can not. According to our research, Google has invested a lot of time, service, and money to optimize their resources for cloud-computing. We have just expected to see much more advancement from Google.

      (Reply to both comments)

      Delete
  3. Google is will make great strides in cloud computing. It was not to discourage google or their strides to become the top of cloud computing. It was a challenge to maintain our exspectations of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I think this is a great strategy. Amazon right now has the most cloud computing going on throughout all of their business. They are gathering more information about consumers than anyone else on the web. Buying patterns and interests has more validity in a marketing situation than anything else. With all the algirithms and portals that can predict and track a consumers movement Google needs to be able to keep up with cloud computing. Their discount is going to help them break into the market and gain some of the market share. As always there are going to be hiccups along the way but Google has the resources to maintain the servers and any potential issues. Go Google.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I currently use Dropbox for work, i am not going to lie i still don't quite understand where all my information is being stored but hey it is very helpful! I work for a chain of restaurants so i am always moving around. I need to have access to all of the restaurants information from my computer no matter where I'm at and we use Dropbox. Multiple people can have access to all of the files and we can all work with them no matter where we are at.

    Maria Zendejas

    ReplyDelete